Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 2 - Oh boy...

Day 2
Not that exciting yet, right? After my first day of training on Saturday I felt pretty good. I wanted to get back out and do another day, but I knew I needed to follow the directions and have a day off at least in between to heal and reflect. So instead, on Sunday I went to my pump class to get out of the house (and alone time away from the kids). Monday is my normal step class day and I look forward to going to the gym for that. For whatever reason I thought it would be smart to add my second day of training to the end of my class to get it over with.
It was good thinking at the time..

Sometimes I forget that I can't do everything at once. I don't normally spend three days in a row at the gym. I don't usually stay beyond my class to do anything else. I'm beat, and ready to go home. But for today, I decided I should just do it now rather than have to trudge my way way to the gym for Tues night, the next opportunity I might have to run.

So after 60 mins of a high cardio step class, I grabbed my phone and hopped on the treadmill. Since I was pretty warm and limber already, I only did about 2 minutes of warm up walking before beginning.

I was off and running for my first few sets and managing ok. Until the counter told me to run again and I saw the timer start at 60 seconds..

Say what??? I thought this first week was just 30 second intervals?? You want me to run for a solid minute now??
Puff puff puff... Oh god... kill me now..

Somehow, I survived the minute, began my next walking phase and tried to ignore the throbbing feeling my legs were getting. I was already shouting inside my head "stop! stop!! you can't do it anymore today! Come again another day!" And then the ring hit telling me I was halfway home..

Only halfway??? Are you kidding me??! How in the hell am I supposed to survive a longer run, if I can barely survive day 2???

I was nearing the end, my legs were killing me, my toes felt on fire, but somehow I kept on going. Run 9 finally hit and I gave it my all for that last burst. (I have no idea how long it was, I finally turned my phone around:))
Ding! Begin Cool Down.


Finally!!
Day two now behind me, I learned one important thing. Probably not wise to run after my step class. Not because I couldn't do it, but because I have no idea if I was that fatigued because I did my class first, or fatigued because of the run. Most likely because of the class. But I would like to know how the run makes me feel on its own.
So I will do my best to make my runs on non normal gym class days.
Tomorrow is definitely a day off of the gym!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, since the running is the new thing, you probably want to do it prior to doing other stuff. If you feel up to it, you could always do a class afterwards. ;)

    Having said that, nice job on the finish!

    PS: I remember C25K as having 1 minute intervals in the first week. It may have changed since then though. Point is, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read like the first three lines of the program on my app thinking it was all of the same.. 30 sec intervals.. I wasn't expecting a 1 minute jump in there! It probably happened the first day too but I was ignoring it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading this!!!!! I totally remember not being about to run for longer than 30sec and just this sunday I ran continuously for 2hrs ;) you are going to look back on today and say WOW I'm awesome :D

    ReplyDelete