Friday, January 20, 2012

Week 2, increasing by double

I was expecting week 2 to increase the amount of time for the runs, but I was hoping things would go a bit slower and say only increase by like 10 seconds a run. I had a little groan when I saw the circuit was 45 seconds, 60 seconds and 90 seconds.
But I'm pumped.. I can do this.

I started off decently. Until it was time to run. Maybe its because I am still so new to this running thing, my body is kind of rebelling against me for doing it. After that first 45 seconds my feet and legs were already crying out it agony. By the time my first 90 second run hit, I could feel my back getting a stitch somewhere and my calves were on fire.

Crap.

How am I supposed to get through the second and third circuit if I am already dying???
I continue on, catch my breath during the 2 minute walk at the end before the next circuit can begin. I was already saying in my head, "oh boy.. I hope I can do this"

I began the next 45 second run and somehow I didn't feel near as tight as I did the first time.
Ok.... Maybe I can get through..
The 60 second run began and I could feel a small smile playing on my lips..
Somewhere between my walk here, that nice little man voice said I was halfway done already..
When the 90 second run hit, I was ready. I sailed through that minute and a half without any problem.
I could SO do this!!

Finally, my last circuit began and I was starting to feel the fatigue, but I wasn't sore or uncomfortable, So that was a good thing.
Before I knew it, I was on my last 90 seconds.. And you know what?? I ran an additional 20 seconds, just because I didn't feel like stopping yet.

That made me smile:)

I did find though that I had periods of time during my run where my toes on my right foot felt numb. They didn't hurt, and I seemed to have plenty of room to move my toes around, so I can't see it being my shoes are too small, but maybe the seasoned runners can help me. Do I just need to break the shoes in a bit more?

Apparently my next run might be taking place outside. Thank god we have a chinook hitting us overnight, so the weather will rise above zero. My running partner and cohert has requested a run outside together, so we are going to see what our schedule is like next week..I can't say I"m overly thrilled because I am a HUGE indoor girl, but I suppose I have to learn how to run on pavement and not the tread:)

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's exactly how some of my runs go currently :) I have this post

    http://www.runningwithspatulas.com/2011/10/alis-tips-for-runners-looking-to-get.html

    not spamming you, it's just all about what tips helped me start running...but it sounds like you're doing awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! As soon as google lets me join your blog, I will:) I can use all the help I can get:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember so many times doing C25K where I had thoughts such as: "Holy crap! They're doubling the running time!" "Ack! How am I supposed to do that?"

    I always approached it with the determination to give it everything I could. Worst case scenario, maybe I'd have to stop the run early. But, then I would try again, and be stronger the next time. I was always surprised that I could do more then I realized. Seems like you're getting the same experience. It's pretty cool.

    As for the shoe, my first thought is that you might be lacing them too tight? My second thought is that they could be too small, even though they don't feel like it. But, if you are confident your toes have lots of room, that's probably not the case. What brand are they? Some brands tend to fit smaller then others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are Asiacs? I tried a few of the others, but they were a narrower shoe. These ones seem to fit perfectly fine, no cramping, I can move my toes around without problem. The numbness doesn't seem to last very long but comes and goes.

    Now I understand the hassle in trying to find a decent shoe, period:) I don't like this part!

    ReplyDelete