Friday, May 11, 2012

Interval training and Mothers Day Run Prep

For today's run I decided it was time to work on increasing my speed for the 5k, and the only way I can think of to do that is to interval train.. Push myself hard and fast for a short period, then walk it out and repeat. Today is a nice day with a cool breeze which made it a good day to sprint in small doses.
I started off running my normal pace for about 9 minutes, then began my intervals. I started watching my pace on my Garmin and was working to push it to about the 8 minute mark, which is about 17 seconds faster per Km than I normally run. Here I thought that was a decent increase and a good way to push. (Go with me here..:)) After my first interval which lasted anywhere from 30 seconds to a 1 minute or two (I didnt clock them), I walked it off until I could catch my breath and start again. Each speed interval I hit, I looked down at my Garmin to check my pace and see how much I could push. I really wanted to hit that 8:05-8:00 pace and keep it there..

Now I have to be honest. I had no idea that my pace shown was actually an average pace over my entire run.. so it included all my walk intervals.. So what I thought was a 8:00/km pace, wasn't exactly true.
Anyways, I plugged along and really pushed myself in the speed portion, lasting at some points only 45 seconds or so before having to stop and walk, but I know my walk breaks were no longer than 2 minutes. Around the 3km mark, I was beginning another speed interval when I glanced down at my watch and saw 6:04/km

Ho-ly Shit...

I actually had to look at it again (yes, while still running) just to make sure I wasn't seeing things..
Again it took me a while to realize that my pace was taking into account my entire time out running/walking, but to see a 6:Anything, was absolutely phenomenal for me. ... It never occurred to me that I could run that fast.. or I suppose faster, since it was an average over my whole time out..Needless to say that only lasted about 30 seconds before I was walking again, and then I never quite got back up to that mark.

By the end of it, I was definitely spent. I couldn't quite finish the full 5k in intervals and got to 4.5km before calling it quits. I have no idea how many intervals I did, how much running I actually did over my walking, but I know it was a well earned trip out. I pushed myself further and faster.. And I know it will help make a difference in my next full run..

Which just happens to be the Mothers Day Run/Walk on Sunday. This race is a huge event in the city. I have always heard of it, never been to it or seen it, but the pictures they show on the news are always crazy. Somehow my partner and I thought it would be a good idea to run it...
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that this one supports our local Childrens Hospital and its a big deal, but I don't do well in large crowds. And being such a beginner runner, I have no idea how many people are racing and I don't exactly look forward to running shoulder to shoulder with people... But it will be an experience for sure:)

So if anything, my interval training should hopefully help me shave off a few seconds from my time on Sunday.. if not, well, it was still fun:)

No comments:

Post a Comment