Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quiet on the streets

I have been quiet as of late.. I have been running, but I have taken a bit of a break on my running weekly. I began a strength training program 6 weeks ago to help aid in my weight loss efforts, and in order to do so, I had to cut back on some of my cardio workouts. I was running three times a week plus a step class, so I had to move things around and take a breather from them for a little while. So lately I have only been dedicating one day a week to running.

It has been nice somedays to not have to go and run. While I do miss it on some levels, I found it to be a nice change to go back to the gym more often and work on something I have never done before. I guess this year is all about trying new things for me.. First running, now weight lifting. Certainly wouldn't think of those things if you looked at me, thats for sure!

I have been getting out at least once a week for a run when I can. My last few runs I have taken a slightly different approach to just going out and running my 5k. I really want to concentrate on building my stamina and being able to shed some time off my totals. So to do that I need to interval train. So my runs lately kind of look a lot like they did 6 months ago when I began.. segments of runs dotted with walking. The difference though is my run segments are a heck of a lot faster than they were back then.

Thanks to my Garmin, I have been able to see how fast my pace has gotten during my intervals and I was thrilled to see on a previous run that I was almost a minute 'faster per km than my 'normal' pace is. I average about a 8:20/km pace, and for my run two weeks ago, I was at a 7:30/km pace for 2km solid.. I definitely pushed harder on that one and I was so happy to see that kind of time. Unfortunately I pushed so hard in the first 2k, that I was completely spent by the time I hit 3.5k. I did continue with my intervals my by time was definitely slowing down the longer I was out there.

This last run I did I just decided to run. I hadn't been on a run in 10 days due to a hugely busy schedule, so I was just happy to get out this morning. The weather was pretty muggy due to rain last night, plus looming storms later today so I wanted to get it done early so I could relax. I think it was the earliest I had ever gone for a run, 8:45am! I started off and was definitely sore from yesterdays lifting session, so I knew it wasn't going to be a fast time. I just wanted to run.

My pace was slightly slower than normal and I only managed about 3.5km before my feet gave way and I stopped running. I was a little disappointed in myself for stopping so soon, but I had to shrug it off and allow myself the walk. Obviously my mind wasn't quite in it this morning and I struggled to break through the wall. Something I do need to still work on... allowing myself the walk if I need it. There is no shame in walking!!!

My partner and I are looking at more races this summer. Im currently waiting on schedules for all sorts of different things happening to see what runs will work for my weekends. I would love to get in two more at least this season.

So that is where I am at.. running, but enjoying other things right now, still hoping to get in one or two more races.. still working on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment