Monday, June 18, 2012

Moving into 10k territory

Somehow I was (easily) convinced to do a 10k run at the end of August.
Both my partner and I have slacked off on the running as of late. Ive been strength training at the gym, and timing has been off for running. So the thought of jumping into a 10k was done on a whim with little hesitation on our part.

10k...
Shit.

My last few 5k runs, as previously discussed have been incredibly Meh. with some interval training mixed in and a lot of walking involved. In fact I haven't run a solid 5k without stopping since my second race back in April. Ive been taking a lighter approach to running, and as I said earlier, strength training took top spot in my exercise routine. But now that I have agreed to a 10k, I guess I better make sure to commit myself to running at least twice a week in order to make sure I dont look like a complete ass during the race.

The race is under 8 weeks away and most training programs I have seen for jumping to 10k, are a little over 8 weeks long, with 3 days a week running. So I know it is a very long stretch to assume I will be able to run a solid 10k without stopping.

But that doesnt mean I'm not going to try at least! I do know for this one, it will be for fun, enjoyment and trying to push myself past a point I never thought I could do. And if that means I have one or two or ten walk breaks, then thats fine by me. 10k is still 10k.. regardless of how fast or how long it takes.


So it begins again. Training to run. training myself to believe again.
Should be fun:)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad to see you back in running territory.

    Are you thinking about doing planned run/walk intervals? A lot of people find that planning to walk every 10 minutes (or 6 or 12 or whatever) helps them get through the distance, rather then waiting until you NEED to walk.

    I am going to gently suggest that you might want to consider running a minimum of three days a week though. It might just not work with your schedule, but if you can swing it, your body will adapt much better to the more consistent mileage. Don't feel like you have to approach 10km with every run. Plan for one run to be your long one, and in your other two runs, do about 60% of whatever your long run is for the week.

    For myself, I find it hard to get into the groove of running if I go more then 2 days between runs, even with swim/bike training. 4 days a week is ideal for me, but I've found 3 days is the minimum for my body to like running.

    ReplyDelete